XL is just A-OK with premier

By Geoff Lee

March 30, 2017 12:00 AM

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley was over the moon reacting to the approval of the Keystone XL pipelines by the U.S. State Department.
“I would like to congratulate TransCanada for the hard work they have put into this approval,” said Notley,  following the announcement from Washington, D.C. on Friday.
“This project is going to support nearly 6,000 jobs during construction and over 400 full-time jobs in Alberta, while also providing access to new and existing U.S. markets.”
U.S. President Donald Trump met with TransCanada’s chief executive, Russ Girling, at the White House that morning and said the US$8 billion project would create American jobs and enhance its energy security.
“It’s going to be an incredible pipeline, the greatest technology known to man, or woman,”  Trump said.
“It’s a great day for American jobs and an historic moment for North American energy independence,” he said.
“This announcement is part of a new era of American energy policy that will lower costs for American families—and very significantly—reduce our dependence on foreign oil and create thousands of jobs right here in America.”
Keystone XL will transport about 830,000 barrels of oil sands crude oil a day from Hardisty, Alta. to Steele, City, Neb .
From there it will connect to the main Keystone pipeline for routing to refineries in the U.S. Gulf Coast.
Approval of the pipeline by the Trump administration reverses the 2015 rejection of the pipeline by former president Barack Obama, who argued it would contribute to rising greenhouse gas emissions from the oil sands.
TransCanada re-submitted a Presidential Permit to the State Department on Jan. 26 following Trump’s election.
The Keystone XL has been nine years in the making, dating back to 2008 when the original route was proposed.
The National Energy Board approved the Canadian portion of the line—that will extend to Monchy, Sask., where it will cross the border into Montana— in 2010.
The project has faced stiff opposition since 2009 from environmentalists, particularly in Nebraska where opponents forced TransCanada to reroute the line to avoid the Sandhills region and its water aquifer.
Construction can’t begin until it gets a permit from Nebraska’s Public Service Commission.
The company last month filed for the permit, which is necessary in order for the state to expropriate private property for public use with compensation payments for landowners who refuse to let construction occur. 
TransCanada has said it has agreements covering 90 per cent of the route in each of the three states the pipeline will cross.
“TransCanada will continue to engage key stakeholders and neighbours throughout Nebraska, Montana and South Dakota to obtain the necessary permits and approvals to advance this project to construction,” said the company.
In conjunction, TransCanada has discontinued its claim under Chapter 11 of the North American Free Trade Agreement and will end its U.S. Constitutional challenge.

More News

LCSD hosts archbishop

The Lloydminster Catholic School Division (LCSD) had a special guest this week, as Archbishop Richard Smith toured multiple schools. more »

Falk talks first session in House of Commons

Battlefords-Lloydminster member of Parliament Rosemarie Falk is back in her constituency for the summer. She held a summer office open house this week for people to have a tour, drop by for a conversation,… more »

Health council opens channels

We have your back on healthcare. That’s what the Yellowhead East Health Advisory Council (HAC) told local and area residents during its latest meeting at the Lloydminster Hospital on June 20. more »

more »