City delivers FCSS grant money

By

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Message: Trying to get property of non-object

Filename: articles/article.php

Line Number: 15

November 27, 2014 9:04 AM

The Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) grants were dished out at Monday afternoon’s city council meeting, with 13 of 16 applicants receiving money.

Council approved the allocation of $431,853 from the 2015 Family and Community Support Services Grant Program.

“This funding goes to not-for-profit organizations, which applications go to a community grant board that the city has established,” Coun. Larry Sauer said.

The grant is funded 80 per cent by the Alberta government, with the remaining 20 per cent coming from the city, which the grant is run through.

“Each municipality is expected to set up a board that would allocate the funds according to the Alberta Human Services criteria that has been set out,” Sauer said.

Funding for the program has not changed in the last five years. Sauer said that he and his fellow council members would like to see an increases to that funding.

“If funding went up, I’m assuming that council would be in favour of increasing the funding from the city as well,” he said.

Asked why the funding hasn’t increased over the last five years, Sauer pointed to the Alberta government.

“We have asked the Alberta government for increases on a number of occasions, but they have decided not to increase the funding to municipalities,” he said.

Patrick Lancaster, manager of community services and manager of the FCSS Grant Program, said that organizations will have received notifications of successful applicants, or the status of their applications earlier this week.

“Agencies will have until the end of January to sign a confirmation letter of acceptance of those dollars,” Lancaster said.

“Cash in hand though will be rolled out in quarterly payment, in the course of 2015.”

Lancaster said that the first installment should be expected some time in January or February, “dependent on when (the board) receives the money from the provincial government.”

Organizations that were successful in their applications were Big Brothers Big Sisters - summer program and in-school mentoring; Catholic Social Services - senior connections; Lloydminster Interval Home - public education and awareness; Lloydminster Association for Community Living - community liaison; Lloydminster Community Youth Centre - youth outreach program; Lloydminster Sexual Assault and Information Centre - sexual abuse and assault education program for children youth and families; Libbie Young Centre - community education program; Midwest Family Connections - First Steps; Midwest Family Connections - play and learn in the fun zone; Native Friendship Centre - Engaging Our People; The Olive Tree - outreach worker; Walking Through Grief Society - Walking Through Grief support.

FCSS was allocated up to $70,000 from the funding, which will go towards the organizations Family Day Unplugged, Volunteer Week, maternal mental health, education and workshops, administration costs and special programming.

Three organizations did not receive money that was asked for. Sauer said that two of those applications did not fall under the guidelines of the FCSS grant funding. “Two of them did not meet the criteria, while the other one (the board) felt that other programs were already doing what they had applied for,” he said.

No funding comes from the Saskatchewan government for the FCSS grant, but non-profit organizations on both sides of the city’s border can apply for the FCSS funding.

Sauer said that there is another program that funding does come from the Saskatchewan government.

“There is some money, that comes from the Saskatchewan side and will be dealt with by this board.”

Lancaster said that organizations will have to report back to the FCSS board about the success of their program that ran through 2015

“There are two points of reporting. Organizations will have to submit a midterm report to allow us to see that the programs are progressing, at the end of the year we do a more in depth report,” he said.

More News

LCSD hosts archbishop

The Lloydminster Catholic School Division (LCSD) had a special guest this week, as Archbishop Richard Smith toured multiple schools. more »

Falk talks first session in House of Commons

Battlefords-Lloydminster member of Parliament Rosemarie Falk is back in her constituency for the summer. She held a summer office open house this week for people to have a tour, drop by for a conversation,… more »

Health council opens channels

We have your back on healthcare. That’s what the Yellowhead East Health Advisory Council (HAC) told local and area residents during its latest meeting at the Lloydminster Hospital on June 20. more »

more »