City upgrades three playgrounds

By

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Message: Trying to get property of non-object

Filename: articles/article.php

Line Number: 15

August 12, 2014 8:02 AM

City crews were hard at work earlier this week, dismantling parts of the playground structure at Messum Park. - Mallory Clarkson Photo

Construction on sites at Bud Miller All Seasons Park, Messum Park and Kinsmen Tot Lot to be completed Aug. 29

Three of Lloydminster’s parks will be getting facelifts later this month, as the city completes its 2014 Park Revitalization Program.

Structures found at Messum Park playground, Kinsmen Tot Lot and Bud Miller All Seasons Park group picnic area will all be overhauled, replacing the 20-25-year-old structures that are currently standing.

Blake Nielsen, superintendent of parks, said the playground structures are being exchanged before any safety issues arise with them.

He added all of the park spaces will be improved.

“The Bud Miller one is actually going to be a themed park, there’s going to be a nature theme playground equipment,” he said. “The other two, they’re going to be upgrades, but they’re still going to be playgrounds, metal structures, so a little more vibrant in colours, but there’s still going to be swings and slides and climbing apparatus.”

The structure at Bud Miller park will see a large upgrade completed, which will be geared towards kids aged six and under. It will complement the existing playground located next to the park centre for kids aged six through 12.

At Messum Park, there will be 17 play components that will be suitable for kids aged five to 12. The Kinsmen park will have 12 play components and will be for children aged two to five.

The playgrounds themselves cost a total of nearly $168,550, with installation being covered by the city’s own crews.

Crews started taking out the old structures on Aug. 5 and are currently closed to the public. The actual installation is set to start on Aug. 18 and continue to Aug. 22. They are expected to be open to the public come Aug. 29.

Nielsen stressed the city hopes the public stays patient with crews and reminds locals there are 35 other parks throughout Lloydminster than can be used. These can be found online at www.lloydminster.ca.

“We would like people to be patient with us from the safety end of it and stay off the job sites and allow us to get our jobs done safely without anyone in our way,” he added.

Since 2002, the city has revitalized 11 different parks and created two new ones in the Border City. Parks are chosen for revitalization based on the age and condition of the structures.

More News

LCSD hosts archbishop

The Lloydminster Catholic School Division (LCSD) had a special guest this week, as Archbishop Richard Smith toured multiple schools. more »

Falk talks first session in House of Commons

Battlefords-Lloydminster member of Parliament Rosemarie Falk is back in her constituency for the summer. She held a summer office open house this week for people to have a tour, drop by for a conversation,… more »

Health council opens channels

We have your back on healthcare. That’s what the Yellowhead East Health Advisory Council (HAC) told local and area residents during its latest meeting at the Lloydminster Hospital on June 20. more »

more »